PERSONAL PHOTOS

N O T E : ALL PERSONAL PHOTOS HAVE BEEN COPYRIGHTED BY THE AUTHOR.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Navy Flyer's Creed

A .45 caliber pistol hangs from his right hip. The stub of a cigarette glows in his left hand. The collar of his flight jacket protects his neck from a cold breeze. His eyes search the sky in deliberation.  His head is slightly cocked, listening for the sound of returning planes.  He is a combat-weary, World War II naval aviator.  He is a 6 foot bronze statue on the upper mezzanine of the Naval Aviation Museum. Engraved on a plaque beneath his feet is "A Navy Flyer's Creed."

I am a United States Navy Flyer.

My countrymen built the best airplane in the world and entrusted it to me. They trained me to fly it. I will use it to the absolute limit of my power. With my fellow pilots, air crews, and deck crews, my plane and I will do anything necessary to carry out our tremendous responsibilities. I will always remember we are part of an unbeatable team--the United States Navy.

When the going is fast and rough, I will not falter. I will be uncompromising in every blow I strike. I will be humble in victory.

I am a United States Navy flyer. I have dedicated myself to my country, with its many millions of all races, colors, and creeds. They and their ways of life are worthy of my greatest protective effort.


I ask the help of God in making that effort great enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment